Sunday 4 January 2009

New TV

I decided to get a new digital TV for the bedroom - the old one was really past it and I thought that an LCD panel would be nice. Eventually, I decided on a Samsung from Argos. Bought it on Saturday, spent 20 minutes connecting and configuring and it was done. Nice picture; good sound.

About 40 minutes after I switched it off last night, I was woken by a voice in the bedroom -- the TV had decided to turn its audio on -- but only for about 20 seconds! OK, took it back to the store and exchanged it for a new one. Same 20 minutes wasted setting-up: same problem - 40 minutes after switching it off, the audio comes on for 20 seconds! Samsung customer services were charming, but hadn't heard of the problem. The offered a replacement within 7 days, but I took it back to the store (where they had now had 4 of the same model returned for the same problem) and replaced it with a cheaper model made by Bush. So far, so good -- watch this space!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like an extra-value feature to me.

They may charge extra for a TV that requires no human intervention to turn on.

Dr Bob said...

Happy New Year, Terry.

Please don't share your idea with TV manufacturers, I fear they may agree with you! (As I write this, I realise that it's going to the country that invented the 'clapper' light-switch - O tempora, O mores!).