Friday 17 July 2015

Friday Morning(moving East and North)



So, a little more while I still remember.
This week’s been strange because my partner is away, staying with her mother, so I’m (generally) having to eat on my own – which is fine, but not as enjoyable. However, on Wednesday an old friend invited me round for dinner. She cooked Caribbean food, the main dish being curry goat with rice & peas. I’ve eaten this style of food in restaurants, but what a difference! Full of flavour and texture. Overall, a super evening, even though the cat was annoyed that I’d left him alone.

Anyway, on to Estonia and Tallinn. I’ve been here before for work, but only in the winter, so it was a bit of a shock to see so many tourists and the streets full of cafés. Not sure whether I preferred it or not, but it was very different. We ate in a number of OK places; the service in this part of the Baltic is a bit faster than Latvia and Lithuania, but still nothing to write home about.
On the first evening we went in search of a restaurant I remembered from 6 years ago: it was gone of course. Eventually, tired and hungry, we ended up at Old Estonia in the Town Hall Square. It was OK. The starter of blood sausages was good and the wild boar casserole that followed was fine, EXCEPT that it arrived while I was still eating my starter! Waiter was not really apologetic.
The high spot was eating at Balthasar which is a garlic restaurant (not unlike the Stinking Rose in San Francisco). We had garlic with everything, including garlic ice-cream for dessert. Fabulous. The main of reindeer steak (poor old Rudolf the red-nosed) was very good indeed and, surprisingly, the  service was prompt and efficient. This isn’t a cheap place to eat, but it is good. Last time I was here, it was almost impossible to get a reservation, now it’s less popular…
There are a lot of sights to see in Tallinn, we enjoyed being here.





 More to come: Finland next!


No comments: