Tuesday 1 September 2015

Bank Holiday Monday



Bank Holiday here today – actually, since retirement, this doesn’t make a lot of difference. Weather was vile anyway.

So, dinner: I’d roasted some beetroot earlier in the week, a vegetable I’m really fond of. I peeled and sliced them and dressed with some decent olive oil and served as a starter with mozzarella and chives.
The main was Tuna steak (briefly seared for me, cooked through for my beloved) served with Puy lentils. I cook the lentils almost like a risotto, frying onion, spring onion or leek, celery, lardons and tiny diced carrots then adding the lentils for a few minutes then vegetable stock and simmer gently until tender. Then add chopped parsley and a teaspoon of Dijon mustard – this is really very good. Generally, I think of lentils as a wintery food, but it was only 14C yesterday, so I guess that counts. Dessert was cheesecake. We drank a rather nice Medoc (Ch. Haut Barrail, 2004 and a 2011 Sauternes with dessert).

Hoping the weather might be  bit better today, though the rain will have been good for the lawn, which I recently treated with weed and moss killer, so it looks as though Agent Orange has been applied. Will be nice when it’s green again (and with luck, no more buttercups).

No comments: