Sunday 25 May 2008

Melanie

I loved Melanie's songs when I was young. They spoke to so many of the issues that seemed particularly relevant to me at that time. I always regretted that I hadn't seen her live.
Well, the opportunity came to do that (again at the increasingly irritating Huntingdon Hall in Worcester - illegal raffle and all).

The show started with her son, Bo, performing a number of his guitar 'compositions'. This guy is probably the least sympathetic guitarist I've ever seen on stage, such a shame that nepotism seems to have overcome talent.

Melanie's set was good, though far from the most professional; there were stumbles, forgotten words, "is my guitar in tune?" questions, etc., etc. I don't think that the performance was helped much by Bo's 'accompaniment' and the apparent inability of the sound-man to obtain a decent balance between voices and guitars.

However, a lot of the old magic is still there and it made a change to be one of the younger people in the audience!

I wouldn't go to see here again, I think, but I'm glad I went this time. Even more glad that this is our last planned visit to Huntingdon Hall, at least for a while!



No comments: