Monday 12 May 2008

Museums

Jane is a PhD student from Nankai University in china. She was in charge of looking after me when I was there last year and, currently, she's studying for her PhD in my Department. On Saturday we took her to the Avoncroft Museum of buildings in Bromsgrove which is quite interesting ,it has the National Telephone Kiosk Collection for example and an excellent 3-hole earth closet!


After a picnic lunch, we went back to Birmingham via the Lickey Hills. On the top of the highest (Beacon) hill there's a fake castle with commanding views over the whole of the city. Visibility wasn't that good (even though it was a hot and fairly sunny day) but it was fascinating to see that the area was littered with Brummies enjoying the sunshine (and smoking, too, I'm sorry to say).
Then we went to the museum of the Jewellery Quarter. Actually a Victorian factory that had stayed in business until 1982 and then been abandoned! It was rediscovered in the 90s and later converted into a museum. An interesting place with well-informed guides. Well worth a trip.

Finally, dinner at the Sundarbon Restaurant in Selly Oak. A fantastic Bangladeshi place. I particularly enjoyed the Murghi Masalla!

1 comment:

Be said...

Avoncroft sounds absolutely wonderful! I wonder if it's anything like Plimoth Plantation or Old Sturbridge Village. (I love historical reenactment 'museums.')