Sunday 8 March 2009

It's been an interesting weekend

On Friday we went (with Jaz & Nicki, dear friends) to a gourmet evening at a very decent restaurant in Hall Green, a Birmingham suburb. 7 courses of remarkable food that made a great start to the weekend - though it was probably the company that really made it great,

Then Saturday -- to Wales. It looks like Ron, my Father-in-law, has probably reached the end of his allotted span - he hasn't eaten much for a while now and it's fairly apparent that he's had another stroke. He seems to be reasonably comfortable or, at least, not in pain and the nursing home is taking good care of him and trying to prepare my Mother-in law for the inevitable. My best guess is that he won't see next weekend. I have a lot to thank Ron for, he taught me how to lay bricks and build dry stone walls. He also introduced me to drinking port. He also taught me - b y example - NOT to drill through live cables! I'll miss him (though I said my real goodbye 5 years ago - dementia is a tough thing for friends and relatives).

Today? Well, I had my hair cut. Put new wipers on Ali's car. Cooked 3 meals (breakfast was OK - scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and dinner wasn't bad: Warm chicken liver salad, rabbit ragout, cheese) did some work - the final year students are at the point where they're really scared about their dissertations. But, just at the moment, I've had enough. I've been supporting a number of people through various difficult times and it just feels like it's too much. Maybe tomorrow will be better, but I'm not counting on it - especially as it starts with a doctors visit!

At least the computer seems to be stable and functional!

2 comments:

Be said...

Bob, am only just getting around to reading your post on your dad-in-law and on life in general lately. I'm sorry that stuff's been so tiring lately. It seems as though this has been a trend with folks I know this past year or so - so much to carry on one's own, but also so many people who come to one for support.
When does one get to rest?

Couple things: I do think good thoughts for you and Mme. I hope you're doing okay. Also, I hope that I've not contributed to the burden with what's been going on here.

Please keep taking care, okay?

Dr Bob said...

Be, you're never a burden!

Bob xx