Monday 14 October 2013

Sunday 13/10/13



So, now that I’m retired, I think I might do some more food blogging – we’ll have to see how long the enthusiasm lasts!
I couldn’t decide what to eat today, partly because it’s been a week of quite decent food and partly because I was feeling tired (visited the MIL in Wales on Saturday)...
So, some things came out of the fridge, some were bought from Tesco’s.
We ate:
Smoked salmon: a very simple presentation, just smoked salmon dressed with lemon juice and black pepper.
Pork loin. Usually, I’d casserole this to get some flavour in, but decided to flash fry it and use a sauce instead. I sliced the pork loin into about 8mm slices and cooked very quickly in hot oil, then left in the pan for a few minutes to rest. Served with crushed new potatoes (cook new potatoes for about 20 m. Cool and crush between 2 wooden spoons. Fry some finely chopped banana shallot, garlic and some smoked lardons in olive oil. Add the potatoes and let them start to brown. Throw in parsley). We also had steamed broccoli and asparagus. I made a sauce by reducing rosé wine (leftover) with apple juice, bay leaf, shallot, sugar, sherry vinegar, garlic. It was a very pretty light pink colour and had good flavour.
Ali made Eton Mess for dessert.

No comments: